It is believed that potatoes were used for skincare around 5000 years ago. According to studies potato slices were used in Peru by medical men as a soothing treatment for skin burns. It was also used in some countries as soap. Centuries later, the potato crop became a staple in every household.
Eating Potato Can Provide Skin Health Benefits
Provides relief for sun-damaged skin Polyphenols found within potatoes protect against sun damage, reduce tannin and promote even skin tones.
- It Is Anti-Inflammatory
Zinc is an important nutrient that can heal scarring and soothe inflammation.
- It Can Improve Your Complexion
High iron levels in potatoes promote a radiant, healthy complexion.
- It Improves The Skin’s Tone
Azelaic acid, which is a natural skin lightener, is found in potatoes. Potatoes can accelerate the healing of scars, blemishes, and dark spots as well as hyperpigmentation.
- It Is High In Protein
Potatoes are high in lysine, which is a protein that is essential for the building and repair of tissues, skin, hair, and nails.
- It Soothes Inflamed Skin
A study found that the compounds cytokine and Azelaic acids in potatoes help reduce pimples and inflammation.
- It Improves Your Gut Health
Clear and radiant skin requires a healthy colon. Potato is an alkaline vegetable that helps reduce stomach acidity.
- It’s High In Vitamin C
A single serving of potato juice has more Vitamin C than the daily requirements. Vitamin C is essential for collagen building and early signs of aging.
- It Strengthens The Skin And Hair
Potatoes are rich in B-vitamins, which promote healthy bones, skin, and hair.
- It Improves Blood Purity
Potassium is a key component of Potato, which promotes clear skin.
- It Moisturizes Dry Skin
Potatoes are a great natural source of hyaluronic acids, which can be used to replenish skin moisture and hydrate the skin.
- It Improves Skin Health
The phenol compounds in potato peels, ascorbic acid, and folic acid are high, along with b-vitamins, which promote overall health for our eyes, skin, and nervous system.
A Few Things You Should Remember While Using Potato For Your Skin
- Before applying any new product or ingredient to your face, patch test it on your inner arm.
- You should stop using any ingredients or products that cause skin sensitivity, rash itching, or redness.
- After using a potato to toning or masking, moisturize your skin to complete the treatment.
- Use remedies and products that contain ingredients that brighten or clarify the skin. Avoid sun exposure to reap the benefits of these ingredients.
- Keep to your prescribed remedy and follow it. Natural ingredients often work slowly, but steadily.
- Avoid ingredients you are allergic to
- Natural ingredients are gentle. To preserve the skin barrier, it is important to not overdo your masking. Masking should be done only once or twice per week.
- Do not use stale or oxidized potatoes. Freshly prepared natural ingredients will give you the best results.
- Make the potato juice and mask in small quantities. Do not store them in the fridge. Moisture-laden products can be breeding grounds for bacteria.
- Avoid putting too much pressure on your skin when toning or masking, especially if your skin has active acne. Be gentle.